Labels

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Monday: AM: 5.5 miles PM: 7 MIles Tuesday: 11.5 miles with 6 @ tempo pace

Monday:
AM: 5.5 miles.  Easy-ish pace, no soreness from the race on Sunday.  Still had to battle through bitter cold weather.

PM: 7 miles, 48:34, 6:56 pace.  Felt really strong, though towards the end, my right quad tightened up a bit.  I'm sure the cold weather is doing a number on my muscles.

Tuesday:  11.5 miles total with 2x3 miles @ tempo pace.  It took me a bit to get into this run, but after the warmup, I rocked the workout portion.

First 3 miler: 16:51 overall, 8:33, 8:18 (1.5 mile splits), 5:37 pace
Second 3 miler: 17:03 overall, 8:39, 8:24; 5:41 pace

I ran this workout in my pair of Brooks T6 Racers, a neutral road racing flat.  My usual flat is well over 200 miles and overdue for retirement.  I've been experimenting with the neutral shoe to see how it goes.  My back was a bit sore afterward, so clearly I'm still not quite ready to try and use them more.  Though while running, they certainly felt awesome.

I need to buy 2 or 3 more pairs of racing flats, they only last about 2.5 months at the rate I'm using them!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Dan, I found your blog off the Runners World forums. I happen to be a fellow Baltimore runner though I'm a rung or two below your level at this point. Anyway, I've been following your blog for a few weeks now and felt sorta like a creep so I figured I'd make a comment. I really like how thoughtful you are about your training, it's helpful to someone like me who's aiming to be at a similar level in a year or two.

    As for the T6s, I have a few pairs. Love them. Probably wouldn't use them for anything more than 10k, at least at this point, but for shorter stuff you put them on and just FEEL faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your new picture from the 8 mile Loch Raven Reservoir race. It really looks cold out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Runningmanz, good luck to you! I was a 3:10ish marathoner not that long ago. It's all about building up that endurance by running a lot.

    I noticed you're a Brooks ID guy; I had been thinking about applying (hence experimenting with the T6), but I can't bear to break away from my Saucony Fastwitch shoes! The ST-4s are just too heavy for what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the general plan here. Stay healthy and run a lot.

    Yup, I've been in the ID program for a year and a half now. Makes sense, I find Brooks stuff really good for me. You looking for something a little bit more substantial than the T6, but not as heavy as the ST4? I do the longer stuff in the Green Silence. It's not even a full ounce heavier but it still has a bit more support. But ya gotta go with what works best for you obviously.

    ReplyDelete