Labels

Monday, January 24, 2011

Friday: 4 + 10.4 miles (7xhill) Saturday: 8 miles Sunday: 16 Total

Friday:
AM: 4 miles, 7:30 pace.

PM: 7xhill with 5 uphill and 2 downhill repeats.  10.4 miles total, 0.4 miles per repeat.   This was done in a cold biting wind, with windchill dipping into the teens.  It was also at 8:30 at night after a long day at work.  Despite everything, it was a solid run.

Saturday:
8 miles, easy pace.  Once again, the weather was bitterly cold.  Thankfully there was no wind, but once again, temperatures were in the lower teens.

Sunday: 8 mile race + 8 more miles, 16 total

First the race.  I'm not doing a race report since there is not all that much to report.  It was an 8 miler (oddball distance) at the Loch Raven Reservoir.  It was the first race of the Baltimore Road Runner's Club grand prix series.  It was an out and back course with 3 challenging hills.  Temperatures at the start were about 13 degrees.  It was so cold that in the 5 minutes I had to wait between warming up and the start of the race, my muscles cooled off.

There was only 1 mile marker, at mile 1.  We went through in a rather pedestrian 6:22.  I was neck and neck with one other runner, dropped the hammer at that point and never looked back.  I ended up winning by over a minute.  The guy who finished second was just getting over a cold and I fully expect a better fight out of him in future races!  I ran a 47:23 overall for 5:55 pace on a cold and hilly course.  In 2010, I ran a 51:14 and in 2009 I ran a 54:54, so there's some progress for you.

After the race, I recollected myself and went back out on the course again to get 16 total for the day.  The last 8 were un-timed but felt good.

Total miles for the week: 74.

No comments:

Post a Comment