Labels

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The beginning

Those who get to know me quickly realize that I spend a lot of my free time running.  There are very few non-runners that truly understand why I run as much as I do.  Most runners "get it" but a lot of them think I'm crazy.  My goal is wonderfully simple, to find out the limits of my potential.  To that end, I have dedicated myself mind, body, and spirit to being an amateur runner.  It requires unwavering dedication and a love for the sport that goes deeper and stronger than any professional athlete.  I do this for fun, yet it costs hard earned money, hurts a lot, and gives no glory other than times, places in local races, and various interesting but ultimately symbolic awards.

I keep quite a detailed Excel file that tracks my daily mileage and cumulative miles over various time periods.  It allows me to see trends in weekly, monthly, seasonal, and yearly mileage.  It also contains results and splits for the many, many races I have run.  However, it is seriously lacking in many areas.

Numbers, miles, and times are only half of a runner's story.  The other half comprises specific details of workouts, how he felt during those workouts, what the weather was like, and what he was thinking about..  Despite my best efforts to keep a handwritten training log, it has not worked out.  So this is my attempt at keeping a more detailed online log.  My hope is that the digital environment (and some eager followers!) will make me more likely to keep it up to date.  How I feel over time and at various mileage loads is just as important as times and splits in deciding future training schedules.  Keeping this training log is an important evolutionary step forward.

So beginning with week 170, 10/4/2010, runs # 924 and 925, this training log will keep track of all data beyond the data.  Stay tuned for more information on how I got here, where I'm going, what my goals are, and just why I choose to run as much as I do.  Maybe I'll make this blog layout a bit more presentable too...  And in case you were wondering, yes I am that much of a running nerd/geek that I know how many times I've run since my 2nd running life started on July 5th, 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment