Labels

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

10/18-10/19...26 miles total

Monday, 10/18

AM: 4 miles, recovery pace, 50's.  Felt great considering I ran a marathon only on Saturday.  Easy pace or not, 26.2 miles and 3 hours and 30 minutes of running is a lot.  I felt minimal soreness.  Certainly much better than my 22 miler @ 6:45 pace the week before.

PM: 13 miles, moderate-difficult pace.  The longest I usually run after work is 10 miles.  In fact, I've never run this far after work.  It can be tough to stay fueled up all day for what used to be a "long run."  Well, times have changed.  Since I have some plans this weekend, but must continue to appease the "calendar gods,"  I flip-flopped some runs so Saturday can become a rest day.  That resulted in 13 miles on Monday instead of Saturday.  I did not carry any water or fuel with me and felt great for almost the entire run.  As a result, I probably ran it too fast.  I started to feel a bit sore by the end, but overall, it was a great run through the streets of Baltimore, in the evening, with great temperatures, 60's.

There was once a time where doing things with friends counted as a legit excuse to skip a run.  That all changed this year.  No matter what, it must get done.  Injury is the only valid excuse.


Tuesday, 10/19

In continuing the ripple effects of my flip flopping...my usual Tuesday rest day was exchanged for my speed workout that is normally done on Monday.  That allows Saturday to become a rest day.  This might be only the 2nd Saturday of the entire year that I won't be running.

9 Miles: 8x800m with 2:30 rest (just enough time for 1 lap jog), 2 mile warm up, 1 mile cool down.  I certainly felt a bit spent during my 2 mile warm up.  That 13 miler certainly took a bit of a toll.  However, after some stretching and strides, my legs felt ready to go.  Here are the splits:

2:28; 2:28; 2:30; 2:31; 2:32; 2:30; 2:32; 2:32

I felt "slow" for the first two despite the times.  Regardless of how I felt, I certainly went out too fast.  I kept telling myself after each repeat to just try and hold on.  Overall, I did a pretty good job.  6-8 were particularly difficult.  I had to dig deep to hold the pace, and had barely caught my breath at the end of the recovery phase.  It also must have been humid, because I sweat a lot despite temperatures in the high 50s.  Nonetheless...a very successful workout.

My soreness is manageable right now.  It is not any worse than I would expect, considering I've run 26 miles in two days.  One more workout tomorrow afternoon, then some easy runs and a rest day before my penultimate 22 mile run on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment