Labels

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday, 10/10/10 22 miles @ 6:46 Pace

Today was a great day for a run.  On the schedule: 22 miles starting around 8:00/mile and accelerating to marathon pace (~6:45) after about the half way point.  My car's digital thermometer read 49 degrees at 9AM when I started on the NCR Trail, my absolute favorite place for long runs.  I didn't feel 100% beforehand, just a little "off" mentally.  However, the name of the game all year has been to get it done no matter what; "no excuses and nothing held back" as they say.

This was actually my first solo long run in about 4 weeks.  I only did 13 the week before to be fresh for a race, an easy 20 before that, Reach the Beach the week before that, and finally, a 22 miler the week before.  That probably explained my lack of sleep Saturday night; I had not done a long progression run in quite a while!

Splits: 7:55, 7:23, 7:14, 7:07, 7:07, 7:02, 6:49, 6:48, 6:31, 6:30, 6:33, 6:27, 6:30, 6:32, 6:33, 6:29, 6:35, 6:34, 6:35, 6:30, 6:32, 6:30.

My stomach felt "off" for most of the run.  I drank all the water I wanted, but only consumed about half the sports beans (carbs/electrolytes) that I usually do.  I really didn't want to hit 6:30s by mile 9, but once I got down there I couldn't get myself to downshift.  I call it the runaway train effect, and I have no idea what causes it or why I just can't slow down!

By about Mile 13 I was feeling rather terrible.  It wasn't really my legs, or the pace.  I had some cramping but it wasn't a big deal, and I wasn't really tired either.  It just generally sucked to keep running.  Nonetheless, I continued going and despite feeling progressively worse, I stayed on 6:30 pace like a metronome.  For a good 5 mile stretch during the worst part I did a really good job at dissociating from the pain.  It was a really strange feeling.  It was as if my mind just disconnected from my body and my legs kept churning at the same pace.  I don't listen to music while running, so I usually end up with interesting mental states during these runs.

Despite the struggles, I still felt awesome after it ended.  My legs are not nearly as sore as I was expecting, though we'll have to see how the delayed onset soreness goes tomorrow.  This will be a good run to look back on the next time I struggle in a race.  It is days like these that define a runner.

Weekly Mileage: 77

No comments:

Post a Comment