Labels

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wednesday 10/6/2010

AM Run: 4 miles, recovery pace.  Low 50s, light rain.  The restorative powers of a day off and sleep never, ever cease to amaze me.  I felt quite strong with no shin or upper thigh problems.  Though my legs are not "fresh," they feel strong.  When looking at my previous training cycle (Jan-May), I was hanging on by a thread running 60-70 miles a week at my peak.  Now, I feel just slightly less than 100% with similar mileage.



PM: 10.5 miles total.  1.5 mile warm up, ~7.5 miles @ tempo pace, 1.5 miles cool down.  Lately, I've been doing tempo runs around the lake in Druid Hill Park.  The Lake loop is approximately 1.5 miles.  It's probably closer to 1.47 depending on the line you take around it, but I'm not a stickler for hundredths of a mile.  I started at dusk, with 60 degree weather, light winds, and an overcast sky (just so I could watch PTI first...).

My 5 tempo loop splits: 8:36; 8:20; 8:13; 8:14; 8:34.  41:56 overall.

I felt quite strong until the last lap, some fatigue understandably set in.  Overall, it was a strong workout.  My left leg seems to have tightened up afterwards (yet again), but I did not feel it running, and it still feels better this week than last time.

 The name of the game when peaking is pain management; ignore most of it, but acknowledge its presence.  All that pain and soreness is the best feedback mechanism I have when deciding what paces to run, and whether I'm overtraining.  That is why I very, very rarely take anything to dull pain.  I'll debate for days even before taking Ibuprofen.  I would rather know exactly how my body is handling my training load.

No comments:

Post a Comment