Labels

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday, AM: ~4.5 mile Cross Country Race PM: 7 miles (soon)

In the AM, I ran the final Baltimore Road Runners Club GPS race of the year.  Though I already locked up my age group a while ago, I ran this race just to get in at least one cross country event.  It took place at Towson High School and was a 3 loop course around the perimeter of the school.

It was certainly cross country; lots of sharp turns, extremely varied terrain, and some good hills.  We ran on grass, trail, the track, a wooden bridge (with a hole in it), and pavement.  The course was advertised as 5 miles, but it was probably closer to 4.5.

I went out somewhat conservative early, though conservative had me in 4th.  Two of the runners dropped off the pace, leaving me, and the leader, many strides ahead of me.  I ended up 2nd, and probably slowed down a bit by the last lap.  Being a self proclaimed road runner, I wasn't exactly in my comfort zone.  Of course, the winner is a road runner as well, so I guess I beat all the cross country runners.

I ran a 26:20 (no splits, no mile markers).  Assuming 4.5 miles, that comes out to 5:51/mile pace.  Not bad for my one and only cross country race of the year.  By comparison, the Rockville 10K I ran last week was at 5:37 pace, so clearly, I am designed to be a road runner.

Most shockingly was how quickly I recovered.  Since I could never really get into a groove, I couldn't really expend all my energy, I was just fighting terrain, turns, and hills the whole time.  Within about 5 minutes of stopping, I felt fine again.


PM: Going for a 7 mile run as soon as I post this.  This run replaces the 4Xmile that I did not do on Friday afternoon.  I'll have to check to see if I can get to the Dundalk HS track next week to get the run in.


Mileage for the week: 70.  The taper goes into full swing next week, 60 followed by 55, my two lowest weekly miles in over a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment