Labels

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Local Races Starting to Get Left in the Dust

This is the first weekend in history in which I've doubled up on races.  There are quite a few rather accomplished local runners who do the same quite regularly.  Though I don't plan on doing it often, this was one weekend where I wanted to run in both the Turek House 5K and the Rockville 10K.  This weekend has shown me that I may need to be more selective in my races next year if I want good competition.

I race for two reasons, to run an all out effort on a marked/accurate course, and to race other runners.  I love to compete against people of similar ability to me.  Up until this year, finding races was never a problem.  I could pretty much enter any race and have competition.  However, I'm slowly moving up in the field and a lot of the smaller local races are not cutting it anymore.

I still enjoy racing often, so I can't exclusively sign up for big expensive races.  I also despise the logistical nightmare that is large races.  There is something so satisfying about just showing up, parking, using your car as a base, and running without having to stand around for hours on end.  I think all of this is still possible, I just need to take a careful look at available races, and be willing to drive just a bit further.

Overall, I think this a good problem to have.  I have always said I would rather finish last, run a PR, and have a great race with people than just win small local races (while blowing away the field) all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment