Labels

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Plugging Along, and Loving Those Running Miles

I think I have a new found appreciation for running.  I'm sure that feeling will be slightly scaled back once I start doing tempo runs and speed work again.  For now though, just being able to run feels so awesome.  A lot of the random pain I've been experiencing in my legs is abating nicely.  Most of it was just the "rust" of not having run for a while.  I remain ever vigilant of my left leg and continue to have un-found paranoia.  The real pain has not made a reappearance, despite my mind's best attempts to trick me.

Thursday: Bike to and from work (13 miles) and 6 miles of running.  Felt decent.

Friday: 3 miles easy, no bike

Saturday: 50 mile bike ride, not too hilly, easy pace.  I went from my apartment to the B&A Trail, rode down a few miles, then turned around and went back.  It was nice to not drive somewhere first.  I'm going to try and have more of my long rides start and end at my apartment just because it saves time, and I have the carrying capacity to take everything I need with me.  Of course, I was nearly hit by a car, in fact I would have been hit if not for my good instincts.  I don't think the moron ever saw me which I find hard to believe with my rear blinking light, neon yellow jacket, and yellow rear bag.  Someone also stopped me in what I think was a lame attempt to convince to accept God since the world is supposed to end next week.  Thankfully, I didn't slow down enough to unclip, otherwise I would have cursed that fool out for making me stop.  Oh Baltimore...


Sunday:  I was supposed to run the Delaware Half Marathon, but went up to work a water stop and cheer friends on instead.  Part of me was glad I didn't since it was humid and 65 degrees at the start.  However, after watching the leaders go by, and seeing the overall winner go through in 1:20, almost 1:21, I definitely would have preferred to take a shot.  Even in my current shape, I probably had a shot at first and the $200 that go with it.  However, there is always next year, and I always have a lot of fun working water stops.

I ended up running 7 miles in the evening, right through the heart of a thunderstorm, and it was awesome.  It cleared the humidity from the air and cooled everything off well.  The last two miles were just great, my stride felt like it did before I got hurt.  That feeling of being able to just fly down the road is coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment