Labels

Friday, May 20, 2011

Duathlon Training?

After canning Tuesday and taking Wednesday completely off including no bike or gym, I went out for 5 miles at 5:30AM on Thursday.  I certainly picked a good morning.  Even though it was a bit humid, the 60 degree weather and peaceful late spring air felt great.  I ran decently, but most importantly, my leg felt fine before, during, and after the run.  It also held up to a rigorous post-run hop test.  Thanks to a flat tire, I left the bike at home Thursday.

Friday, I brought my bike back out onto the road since it was after all, National Bike to Work Day.  I ran 3 easy miles in the morning, biked to and from all my stops (13 miles total), and did my usual strength training circuit at the gym.  My leg is still feeling good.

Starting this weekend, I'm feeling confident enough to start taking the training wheels off.  My first double digit mileage run will be tomorrow (10 miles).  I'm also going to get in somewhere around a 25 mile bike ride.  That should be a decent substitute for a really long run without having to risk doing too much.  It should also give me an idea whether I'm cut out for trying a 2 mile run, 25 mile bike ride, 4 mile run duathlon this August.  I'm pretty sure that I would be the strongest runner out there, but the question becomes how the bike plays into everything.  If this Saturday is remotely rewarding, I'll probably take a shot at it.

Thanks to taking Tuesday and Wednesday off from running, I'll also run Sunday to make 5 days for the week and between 25-30 miles of running, and probably throw in another bike ride if I have time.  I plan on 6 days and over 30 miles next week with that tempo run trying to make another appearance.  I have to start working on my 10 miler speed for the Baltimore 10 Miler.  I still have hopes of being in the mix for the win, but I have to put some work in between now and then.

The momentum is slowly building.  It's still too early to be committing to a marathon, but Philly in the fall is looking quite promising right now.  Redemption in the City of Brotherly Love...certainly sounds good.

No comments:

Post a Comment