Labels

Monday, April 11, 2011

Cross Training Takes Too Long

I've come to the realization that I'm actually spending more time cross training than I do running.  I have also realized that things are a lot less flexible than usual.

I was unable to get anything done Friday (which is why I have to default to riding my bike to work so I at least get something in everyday!).  However, I certainly made up for it Saturday and Sunday.

On Saturday, I rode a quick 2 miles to the meet up point for the weekend Back on my Feet long run.  After they all started, I rode over to the gym and hit their cardio equipment hard for 2 hours:
65 minutes on the elliptical
30 minutes on the arc trainer
25 minutes on the stationary bike

Afterward, I rode back to the long run meet up point and swept one of their 10 mile loops looking for straggling runners, then rode home.  All in all, I biked about 16 miles.  In the afternoon, I met up with a running partner to do some biking around the Pretty Boy Reservoir.  I ended up doing about 13 miles of some of the hilliest riding I've done.  He completely kicked my ass too.  Of course, he did have a road bike and cycling experience while I only had a heavy hybrid and arrogance.  However, it was good to get humbled (and know what it must be like to run with me).  I also learned a thing or two about proper pedaling, and even got to try out clipless bike pedals which are more efficient than standard platform pedals.  By clipping your feet to the pedal, you can transfer much more power to the bike at all points in the pedal arc.  I'm already hooked (no pun intended) and will be buying clipless pedals and shoes really soon.

On Sunday, I went for the same 40 mile ride I did last week, but this time did it in 3 hours instead of 3:30.  I then went to the gym and managed 30 minutes on the elliptical, but I could feel it in my legs!  I focused on going hard uphill and pedaling (rather than braking) on downhills.  Compared to Pretty Boy, the "hills" on the BWI airport loop, the B&A Trail, and Richie Highway approaching Annapolis are a joke.  However, I flew over them much more efficiently and quickly than last week.  Once I get those new pedals, I should really be able to put some power into my drive train.  I'm looking to bump that long ride to 50 or 55 miles next week.  I just have to find that much space to ride...


On Monday, I also had no time to X-train (more reason why I need to bike to work 5 days a week).  Tuesday I should be able to make up for it.  My bike is in the shop for a warranty tune up; my rear brake is quite loose and my 6th/7th gear seem off.  All of this is normal during the "break in period" for a bicycle.  I also blew out another tire right by the stem while doing a pre-ride inspection (it was probably already damaged).  I guess those inspections do help!

Now that I have basic bike maintenance down such as cleaning the chain, keeping the bike clean, lubing the chain, and changing flats, I'm going to try and learn about some of the basic tune up stuff so I can save time instead of driving my bike to a shop and loosing it for a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment