Labels

Friday, March 25, 2011

Today was more like it!

Well today I finally got something done resembling a workout.  After another wasted day yesterday in which I bought an emergency pump, 3 tire tubes, and a tire lever, I kicked butt today.  I was able to replace my busted rear tire tube and pump it up all by myself.  With the pump bolted to my bike's frame, two spare tire tubes, and a tube repair kit in a backpack, I was off for a bike ride at 5:45PM.

I headed over to the area around M&T bank stadium, parked my car, and rode on the Gwynns Falls Trail 45 minutes in one direction before turning around and heading back.  It was decently hilly and there was even an off road section.  I'm certainly glad I bought a hybrid.  No flats this time, though I was prepared!  I ended up with 18.6 miles total, worked up a decent sweat, felt like I worked hard on the hills, and had a slight burn in my legs.

It still is not giving me the same kind of workout as running, but I think it's doing the job of at least slowing my loss of endurance.  My legs, back, and butt all seem to be getting used to the biking so I may try and push harder and further next week.  I'm still kind of concerned about riding at night mostly because I'm worried I won't be able to see where I'm going.  My front and rear blinkers and my obnoxiously bright Brooks Nightlife Jacket make me visible, but the blinkers don't really light my way all that much.  With so many road hazards in Baltimore, this could be a problem.  I do have a very bright headlamp that I use for night hiking, perhaps I can figure out some way to latch it onto my helmet.  Otherwise, I'll come up with some kind of solution for that, even if it means endless laps in Patterson or Druid Hill Park.

I'll be on an elliptical this coming Tuesday, my first day at a gym with a week free.  I'll also be biking to and from work that day.  I don't have a lot of time this weekend since I'll be watching people run at the National Marathon and volunteering at a BRRC race Sunday, but I'll still get a couple more solid rides in.

My ankle, or should I say tibia, is feeling pretty good right now.  I won't even bother trying to run on it, but I'm itching real, real bad to do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment