Labels

Friday, March 18, 2011

Encouraged: but sticking to the plan

I can rather safely say that if the HAT 50K was a goal race, I would be out there tomorrow in a heartbeat.  I would go into it full well knowing I would probably come out the other end with an ankle worse off than when I started.

However, since it is not a goal race, I am still staying away, and am actually volunteering at another race just to lock myself into staying away!  My plan in the meantime is to get some cross training in.  I haven't done much for 7 of the past 8 days, so it's time to start limiting the effects of continued time off.  I've decided I'm going to buy a bike; a huge dividend from REI + a 20% off coupon should allow me to buy something without completely breaking the bank.  I just need to make sure I can configure the trunk in my Eclipse to fit the damn thing.

I'm also going to either use the crappy workout room in my apartment, or join a gym and will suck up being indoors when I can't get outside on the bike.  I can see myself using at least a stationary bike and/or other non impact machines that can get my heart rate up.  I know at least one good rule of thumb is to spend the same amount of time on the cross training device as I would running, ignoring the actual distance traversed.  On Monday I'm going to hit up some aqua jogging (and basically just stick my middle finger up to my fear of water) to see how viable an option that is.  That is probably the closest I can get to actually running while not running.

Monday is also when I see a doctor, and will make an attempt to test out my legs again.  I need to make sure my ankle is at least slightly tender (if it is not 100%) before going to the doctor, just so I can actually give an accurate description of what's going on!  Assuming he cannot find anything wrong, that should help me hammer out a more long term plan between now and Boston.

I have a couple of viable plans based on when I can get myself back into it.  My drop dead date for returning while still taking a shot at sub-2:40 is March 28th.  Every day before that is a bonus.  Based on how strongly I came back from an easy December, I don't think it's too much of a stretch.  But for now, my goal is just to get back to sweating, breathing hard, and making my heart work.  It's already been dormant for one too many days!

3 comments:

  1. Ugh, I know this feeling all too well. People are always surprised to learn I really can't stand exercising. Mindlessly hammering away on cardio machines or in the pool is boring, but sometimes necessary. If you're anything like me, you're gonna want to put TWO aquajog belts on. I've found that with my low body fat, one just isn't enough and I'm guessing you're in the same boat. Dunno if there's a Planet Fitness around, I know they're cheap as dirt, but my Y membership is only about $40 and lets me use any of the ones in the area which has been worth it so far. Hope you're back to running soon enough though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tip. Buoyancy is apparently a problem if you don't have body fat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh I'm sorry you're still dealing with ankle problems! How frustrating.

    I tried aqua jogging once when I was having knee problems and I just couldn't handle the boredom. I'd rather just swim laps for the cross training than run in place while wearing a funny belt.

    ReplyDelete