Labels

Monday, March 21, 2011

Less Than Desirable News....

It is now becoming quite likely that in 13 years of running, I have finally suffered a legitimate injury.  After an easy 3 mile run today, my ankle started hurting again.

I finally got to see a doctor and after a quick examination, he recommended me for an MRI.  There is swelling in my left ankle (which I never even really noticed), and he suspects either a stress reaction or a stress fracture on my left tibia.

My hope is that I caught it soon enough that it is only a reaction and not a fracture.  I feel like there is no way I could have run a 21 miler, a half marathon PR, and a 5K PR all on a stress fracture.  My ankle really took a turn for the worst right before that 21 miler, but I still banged out good times.

My MRI is not until next Monday, and I am under strict orders not to run lest I break my tibia which would truly be horrible.  I am seriously considering starting to bike everywhere during the week, the distances are very doable and gas is getting crazy expensive anyway.  Regardless, I'll be on the bike for around 45 minutes to an hour once a day, and will be trying out this aqua jogging stuff.

The problem I noticed is that my legs can't handle the bike speed required for me to get my heart rate up high enough.  I guess they are designed for running...

No comments:

Post a Comment