Labels

Thursday, November 3, 2011

17 days....

The fact that it has been nearly a year since I've been this close to a goal marathon probably explains my extreme impatience!  This week has been going rather well, and it would appear that so far, whatever was/is wrong with my upper left leg has nearly subsided completely.  Update so far...

Monday: 10 miles total, mostly easy with about 1.5-2 a bit faster.  My Mondays are now definitely Federal Hill Runners night.  I run the 2.25 miles from my apartment to Fed Hill, join up with some other runners, we all lie that we'll run 7 minute pace, start off slow, and then eventually someone pushes the pace.  Afterwards, I run back home, uphill.  Good times...

Tuesday: 9 miles total with 2 miles @ "tempo" pace, ~5 minutes easy, 1 mile @ "tempo" pace, ~4 minutes easy, 2 miles @ "tempo" pace.

I put that in quotes because I'm starting to see a change in my paces.  The first two miles were just under 11 minutes, 5:32, 5:28.  The lone mile was at about 5:15, and the last two was ~10:35 total.  I did most of this run with people faster than me and a few months ago, would have considered this way too fast.  It still felt just a hair too fast, but not earth shattering.  My legs felt fine afterwards and the next day.  Of course the rest was a bit soft, but it does make me think that perhaps I can start pushing just a bit higher when it comes to 2012.

Wednesday: AM: 4 miles, easy...felt great
                     PM: 8 miles, kind of tired and hungry when I started, but by about mile 3 I was in a groove, mostly easy pace

Thursday: AM: 9 miles total.  Once again, I joined a couple other runners finishing off some marathon training with mile repeats on the track.  They started at 7:20 pace and cut down to 6:40 pace with a lap recovery between.  I just had my run go by the track, joined them for some reps, and ran back to my apartment.  Mostly easy miles, with some company.

Despite cooler temperatures, my leg has been largely ok.  My back seems to have been part of the massive issue I've had and it feels loose again too.  Stretching feels really good, and I actually feel more flexible again.  It is very possible that my general lack of stretching for much of September may have played a role in whatever the hell happened to me; don't get lazy!!


I'm looking forward to the weekend.  After helping put on a cross country race Saturday morning, I'll be getting in 22 on the NCR trail, with the last 1/3rd at marathon pace or faster.  Sunday I'll race in the rockville 10K with whatever I have left, last two chances to run on tired legs.  It should help me blow off some steam too, I have a lot of pent up excitement for Nov. 20th right now.

After that, the work will be in the bag, the last two weeks will just have the occasional tougher run to remind myself that running is supposed to hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment