Labels

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Just Chillin'

Just as last week I thought to myself "Wow, life is really easy when I don't have to run everyday," this week I was thinking "Wow, life is really easy on low mileage and no workouts."  Although, I'm already starting to get bored and can feel the "need" to train returning.  This is all good.

The week, a quiet one for sure:

Monday AM: 4 miles, easy
               PM: 6 miles, easy/moderate-ish

Tuesday: PM: 5 Miles
                Commuted to and from work by bike.  I got a flat, and apparently, screwed up my rear brake and/or put my rear wheel out of true.  It was strange since I never remember hitting anything, I just noticed that all of a sudden, I had a rear flat.  Regardless, I got rid of the junk tires my CAAD8 came with and replaced them with much more reliable ones, got the brake readjusted, and swapped out the stock wheels for another pair (only slightly less crappy) I had sitting around.  No more flats...hopefully!  6.75 miles each way.

Wednesday AM: 4 miles, easy

Thursday PM: 5 miles, easy

Friday: Rest

Saturday: AM: 5 miles, easy
                 PM: 25 mile ride on my SuperSix.  The first half of this ride was pure torture.  I wanted to just throw myself into oncoming traffic.  It was barely 40 degrees and windy as all hell.  My plan was an out and back on whatever roads I felt like riding on in Howard County.  After about 5 or 6 miles straight into a stiff wind, I turned off onto the first road I could find just to change up my direction.  I only felt moderately better.  It was hard to breathe for some reason and I still felt like crap.  After hitting my turn around point, I shed my outer layer of clothing and immediately felt 100% better.  The ride back to my car was a bit more fun and overall, it wasn't too bad for my first real training ride back.


Sunday:  10 miles, easy/moderate pace.  This felt pretty decent.  It was in the low 30s but no wind, so pretty good temperatures to run.  Though, there is something about my left leg/back and my bike(s) that is not agreeing.  It seems like my lower back is getting tight and its pulling on my quad.  Stretching seems to keep it at bay.  According to the wonderful internet causes can include bike fit and weak core, amongst other things.  I also know for a fact that my left leg is weaker than my right, I can actually tell that it has less muscle on it.  It may be time to incorporate some targeted weight training, but I'm still undecided about my approach to that.  Working on core should be pretty easy though, I've got some old tricks in that department that I'll finally stick to if it means more comfort on the bike.

As far as bike fit goes, my two bikes have different seat heights and different saddles (one just a bit more padded than the other).  It seems my CAAD8 (more padded, just a tad lower seat height) is giving me less trouble than my SuperSix, but only a real ride on the CAAD8, not commuting, will tell for sure.  After my next legit ride, if my leg and back feel better on the CAAD8, I'll have to match the seat heights and possibly get a slightly more cushioned saddle.  The physical geometry of the bikes otherwise are identical, which is why I have this particular pair.



Miles run: 39
Mikes biked: 25
Miles commuted by bike: 13.5


Up for this week, cracking 40 miles of running, still keeping it to one bike training ride, and no running workouts.  I do have the Celtic Solstice 5 Miler coming up this Saturday.  With an imminent course change from last year, matching my time may prove difficult, but I'll have to see what happens!  It will mostly be a race to see how I stack up against some of the strong runners in the area as it usually draws a good crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment