Labels

Thursday, December 22, 2011

2011 Wrap Up

FDA regulations require that drug manufacturers perform a year end review of each of their commercial products, detailing all kinds of process attributes.  This is mainly to ensure that their manufacturing processes are in a state of control.  What the hell does this have to do with running?  Nothing, but I figured I could apply this on the job experience to my running life.  So here it is, a short synopsis of my 2011 with all its ups and downs.

January
Miles run: 318.75
Races Completed: 3
   -Resolution Run 5K: 16:47
   -Frozen Fingers (not so 5) 5 Miler: 31:44
   -BRRC GPS 8 Miler: 47:21
   -Notes: After only breaking 17 in one 5K in 2010 and feeling "stuck," I finally broke through on a slow, hilly course.  An easy December seemed to be just what I needed.  Over 300 miles that early in the year would turn out to be a mistake.

February
Miles Run: 330.05
Races Completed: 3
   -Superbowl 5K: 16:52
   -Annapolis Striders Valentines Day 5K: 16:45
   -RRCA 10 Mile Challenge: 56:54
   -Notes: I was on fire in February.  This marked three consecutive 5Ks under 17 minutes.  I also finished second in every single one of them (the first two I lost to the same runner).  The Valentines Day race was a race to remember as it came down to three of us.  I took the lead with less than half a mile to go, only to get out gunned in the last 0.1 mile.  Exciting stuff.  The RRCA race was like a dream come true as I got some payback on runners who had beat me in the past, shattered my old 10 mile mark on the course, and finished 14th in one of the more competitive races around.  Trouble was brewing though as pain in my lower left leg was getting progressively worse throughout the month.

March
Miles Run: 114.8
Races Completed: 2
   -B&A Trail Half Marathon: 1:16:12
   -Shamrock 5K: 16:27
   -Notes: What had most likely started as a stress reaction of my lower left tibia had become a full blown stress fracture basically 2 days before the B&A Half.  I still ran 22 miles the day before that race, and ran the half marathon of my life.  I forced myself to not limp while running and was beginning to realize something was horribly, horribly wrong.  I finally had the mind to stop running after the half, but still opted to run in the Shamrock 5K regardless of the risk.  After the third consecutive race of my life, I had to stop.  It took 3 days before I could walk after that race without pain and finally saw a doctor, who after administering an MRI revealed that I had a rather significant stress fracture.  He said I was probably pretty close to a full blown fracture.

AprilMiles Run: 4
Races Completed: 0
  -Notes: And so it was that I missed my chance to run the Boston Marathon.  I spent time at the gym and decided I would rather blow my brains out than use an elliptical, stationary bike, or do aqua jogging so I started cycling instead.  I picked up a cheap, heavy ass hybrid and basically froze to death on numerous occasions as I had no idea what I was doing or what to wear.  Eventually things started to work out better.  A friend introduced me to clipless pedals and eventually road bikes.  Once I was finally cleared to run again, I wiped out on my bike a week later and busted the hell out of my hip and knee, requiring another 2 weeks of recovery.  By May though, things were looking up.

May
Miles Run: 104.1
Races Completed: 1
  -Fiesta 5K: 16:52
  -Not bad for taking off as much time as I did.  To still be able to break 17 after all that time off was a huge boost.  It took a while to get used to running again believe it or not.  Though I was cleared to run, the doctor did tell me to be careful and there were a few times here and there that I backed off when I felt pain.  I made sure to be extra careful and skipped some races and training opportunities.

June
Miles Run: 144.5
Miles Biked: 318
Races Completed: 4
   -North Face Endurance Challenge Marathon Relay: (short 10K):  34:00?
   -BRRC Summer Track Series: 2 Miles: 10:20
   -Baltimore 10 Miler: 1:04:23
   -Westchester Medical Center Duathlon: 2 mile run, 15 mile bike, 2 mile run: 1st in age group, 10th overall
   -Notes:  All I remember from that marathon relay is that we switched up our order, sent the fastest guy out first (me), and I buried the field.  Our plan didn't quite work as we still ended up third, by I apparently put fear into other teams, and for the first time in a while, felt strong.  The 2 miler was awesome.  The 10 miler was a disaster, mostly because I was a goddamn idiot.  If I ran smarter I could have broke 60:00.  I instead went for broke and tried to run the pace I could hold in February preinjury.  Not smart!  I bought my road bike in early June and took it for its first race (and my first duathlon) at the end of the month and did rather well.  I was way too conservative on the first run, but that certainly never happened again.

July
Miles Run: 262.25
Miles Biked: 373
Races Completed: 4
  -Independence Day Duathlon: 2nd Overall, 1.6 mile run, 12 mile bike, 1.6 mile run
  -20in24 Gold Relay (3x8.4 miles over a 24 hour period):
  -BRRC Meet of Miles: 4:49
  -EC5K (or 3.5 miler or something): 17:45
  -Notes: I crushed my previous mile PR of 4:56 and finally got back to where I thought I should be at 20 in 24.  I was part of a team of 5 runners who had to each do an 8.4 mile loop relay style 3 times each.  I ran in the middle of the afternoon, a bit before midnight, and than early morning.  Our team had no shot of winning anything, but I set out to see if I could match the faster runners out there.  I ended up murdering that course, going sub 50 in the hot as hell afternoon, which was one of the faster times on the day.  It would have been good enough for 2nd and 1st in their two cash races (each only 1 loop).  I then repeated with another loop in the mid 50s at about 10:30 at night.  I was so fired up at how well I ran.  By the time the third loop rolled around, a few of my teammates had struggled, causing my time to wait around that much longer.  I mailed in the last loop in 56 and change, which was about as well as I had ran at this race last year.  I knew I was back.  I also joined Adventures for the Cure, a cycling team in the area to start riding with them to try and get my cycling skills on par with my running.

August
Miles Run: 276.9
Miles Biked: 507
Races Completed: 4
  -Du the 2 Duathlon: 2 mile run, 26 mile bike, 4 mile run...freaking hilly. 1st in age group, 12th overall
  -BRRC Summer Track Series 5K: 16:24
  -Lums Pond Duathlon turned 10K mud run: 34:19 (a bit short)
  -BRRC Too Hot to Trot 10K: 33:56 (also short)

  -Notes: Du the 2 was a great experience despite horrendous humidity and a near crash on the bike.  I'm really looking forward to competing in that race again this year.  They are going to have an elite wave, and it looks like my time from last year will qualify me.  I can't wait to be in better shape on the bike.  That track 5K was me firing on all cylinders.  I just went on that track, ran the most even race I've ever run, and crossed the line feeling way too good for having just done a 5K; especially one outside my comfort zone at nearly 7pm.  It is rather unfortunate I did not run another 5K when I was in that shape.  I did a lot of speed work over the summer, and it really showed in that race.  August was also the month I finally joined the much fabled "Tuesday Night Track" workouts at Gilman High School put on by "Team That's What She Said."  I was glad that I finally decided to show my face (I already knew all about this group for a while).  If you are a fast runner in the Baltimore area, you run with this group.  They pretty much have a monopoly on the fast people, and it made everything easier for me because I FINALLY had people to run with who were at my pace and faster.  I ended up outrunning all my other running buddies and needed new ones...


September
Miles Run: 289.8
Miles Biked: 456
Races Completed: 4
   -Charm City Run 20 Miler: 2:02:01
   -R U Able Duathlon: 5K run, 14 mile bike, 5K run...1st Overall, won it on the last run
   -Philly Distance Run (Half Marathon): 1:14:44
   -Naylors Beach Duathlon: 2 mile run, 26 mile bike, 6.2 mile run...2nd Overall

   -Notes: September was my month.  In hindsight, I peaked way too early, but such is the way of things.  The highlight of my entire year was that Half Marathon.  By age grade, 79.8% it is my best race of all time.  I crushed my previous half marathon PR in February which I ran injured, which had crushed my PR from the time before that.  In the 20 Miler, I went out too fast, held on anyway, and won my first cash prize for coming in 2nd on a 100% humidity day.  I destroyed the 5K runs on the RU Able Du, completing both in sub-18 fashion.  On the entire day, between relays and the actual 5K race, only 1 person ran faster than me (a relay runner).  No one else was even close.  At Naylor's beach, I kicked ass on the bike (at least for me) and had my best performance by USAT rankings of the year.  That race is a big reason why my rank is so high right now.  This was all while I was banging out 20 and 22 mile runs to get ready for a marathon.  Unfortunately, I overreached a bit both physically and mentally.

October:
Miles Run: 263.9
Miles Biked: 181
Races Completed: 3
   -New Hampshire Half Marathon: 1:18:43, 2nd overall
   -Half Full Triathlon Relay: 1:20:35 (half marathon on cruise control), 1st overall relay team
   -Cape Henlopen Duathlon, 2 mile run, 11.5 mile bike, 3.1 mile run, 2nd overall
 
  -Notes: Something happened to me in this month.  I believe a combination of too many bike miles, too many running miles, too many races, and my new found laziness for stretching conspired against me.  I ended up with what was at times debilitating stiffness and pain in my left quad and groin.  There was the occasional day when I could barely walk.  I eventually figured out heat was the trick and kept heat on my leg at all times.  By late October, I had it under control.  On the racing front, I was still doing well but started to feel stretched thin.  On a whim I decided to do a race in NH 2 days before it was to start.  This was thanks to a friend who called me out by name on Facebook saying there was cash on the line and a weak field last year.  She was actually surprised when I decided to do it (that's what you get for calling me out on Facebook).  A bunch of other guys had the same idea.  It was also raining and hilly as crap.  If I was actually prepared, I could have won, but instead cruised into 2nd, pocketed $100 (minus the $45 race entry, free lodging, and air fare credit), and was pretty happy.  The very next day I cruised through a half marathon as part of a triathlon relay.  We were 5th going into the run, but thanks to my leg that was 20 minutes faster than any other team, I passed all 4 teams in the last 3 miles and gave us victory.  Cape Henlopen ended up being my last duathlon of the year, and also showed I am better built for longer races.  I just don't have the makeup for short bike legs.  It was a bit exciting as I had to outrace someone that caught ME in the 2nd running leg.


November:
Miles Run: 218.4
Miles Biked: 13.5
Races Completed: 2
    -Rockville 10K: 34:27
    -NCR Trail Marathon: 3:01:57

   -Notes: In an effort to get myself fresh and ready to go marathoning, I hung up the bike for November.  My slight misfire in mileage (I should have gone over 300) and my mental and physical fatigue was really started to add up and take its toll, though I tried to ignore it.  The rockville 10k was ok, I PR'ed big.  I certainly went out a little too fast, but my legs just felt dead the whole way.  I also seemed to dread runs more often than not.  I started the Philadelphia Marathon, my alleged goal race, but dropped out at mile 13 after feeling like a train wreak as soon as the gun went off.  I had not felt right in the days leading up to the race, but I had run through worse.  I was pretty pissed with myself, especially considering I was essentially running a PR pace.  I signed up for the NCR Trail marathon which was to be 2 weeks later in an attempt to salvage my marathon season.  The weekend between still didn't really feel that great and my long run that weekend was not as successful as I had hoped.  Once the race rolled around, I felt substantially better and at least ran well for the first half of the race.  Some combination of going out too fast, and just complete mental fatigue did me in and I fell apart quickly in the second half.

December:
Miles: ongoing
Races Completed: 2
   -Jingle Bell 5K: 16:45
   -Celtic Solstice 5 Miler: 27:01

 -Notes: December is ongoing of course.  I took a few days off after NCR, just biking to and from work a few times.  The 5K felt a bit better than my November races, but I was still kind of flat.  I took another very easy week, and finally one more in the days leading up to the 5 Miler.  With a renewed sense of physical and mental strength, I went out and raced my ass off, tying for 8th overall (I was 7th, but one of our guys got added to the results, which is fine with me since he is one of our's!), and blowing away my previous best on an easier course by over a minute.  I felt strong again. 


Now, we have arrived at my currrent week.  I opted for one last week without workouts, just more running, and more cycling.  Both are building slowly.  I was pretty sore for part of this week, but it is getting better.  Though whatever I did to my left leg in October has subsided significantly, it has not gone away.  In an attempt to fix it for good, I've been stretching, and trying to strengthen my core as that perhaps could be a cause (especially with the bike miles).


So there it is, 2011 at a glance.  I'm actually happy with the year.  There is really no "what if" for me.  Everything happened the way it did.  I learned a lot and still got faster in the process.  With 2012 coming up, I now have limits in place to try and keep myself fresh.  I found that I can push myself too much, but thankfully, it takes a significant amount of mileage and racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment