Labels

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Summer Has Arrived

In typical Maryland fashion, summer has made itself known with two days of 100 degree weather and some nice humidity to go with it.  Now the fun really begins!  The first half of this week was spent recovering from the 10 miler as that race did a wonderful job of tearing me up.  By the end of the week, I was feeling much stronger.

Monday: Running: 8 miles total, easy, easy.  Quads were very, very upset.

Tuesday: Running: ~8 miles total, easy, mostly on trails.  Felt much much better, but still had some ways to go.
                Cycling: 13 miles total, commuting

Wednesday: First of the hot days.  Of course, it didn't stop West Side Worlds from happening.  I hydrated my face off all day and managed to survive the ride.  After ending up leading part of the first sprint and getting caught in the last push, I got dropped on the next climb.  Thanks to a combination of stubbornness and motivation, I managed to catch back up to the group at the top of the biggest hill, the only place they momentarily stop.  The last 20 miles of the ride went much better.  Overall, another well earned 36 miles of cycling.

Thursday: Running: 5 miles easy in the afternoon, legs finally feeling normal.  Hot as crap.  You know it's bad when it's still 90 degrees after the sun goes down.
                 Cycling: 13 miles total, commuting.  I was pretty sure I was going to drown in my own sweat on the afternoon ride back, but managed to survive.

Friday: Running: 3 miles, easy
             Cycling: 40 miles, first 15 and last 15 in the aero bars for some practice.  I can't ride slow while also in aero bars, so this basically ended up being a 2x"tempo" pace ride.  The middle 10 were slow thanks to a passing rain storm that made it nice and slick out.

Saturday: Cycling: 66 miles with some nice hills.  I joined someone on their last 100 mile ride before Ironman Lake Placid.  The pace was a little slower than my typical long rides, but overall, still a good one to get in with lots of hills.  Of course, my front derailleur stopped working 35 miles into the ride and I was stuck in the big chain ring for all the big hills, but was able to grind through it.  That bike hasn't needed a tuneup in over 800 miles, but on one of my hillier long rides, BAM just like that!

Sunday: Running: 11.5 miles, easy-ish  My legs felt good for all but the last mile of this run.  So overall, the 10 miler is behind me, and so far, the miles I'm doing right now seem to be working!

Totals:
Cycling: 168 miles
Running: 35.5 miles

Up next...an actual running workout on Tuesday.  It's about time!  I'll likely look for a mix of tempo running and speed work to get those legs moving in more than just races.  Rumor has it I may be doing a 5 or 10K in the next week or so, but we'll see.  No rush to sign up...

Bike miles will stay the same, running mileage will go to 40+ this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment