Labels

Friday, July 22, 2011

Carry ID with you!

I have not had a chance to give an update about training lately, but it's been going well.  I should be able to write up an update tomorrow.

However, I wanted to pass on a rather sad story that has had me thinking for the whole day.  Even if just one person reads this blog post, it will be enough for me.  One of my running friends was recently involved in a serious accident while running.  I don't have all the details, though it sounds like it involved a car, and one of his legs is not in good shape.  He was admitted to the neuro ICU at Johns Hopkins and likely won't be released from there until at least Tuesday.  Though not an extremely close friend, he is still a fellow Back on My Feet Baltimore runner (for a team other than mine) and someone I talk to quite regularly.

I was always really gunge-ho about not carrying any kind of ID with me while running because, well I'm stubborn and don't like carrying stuff with me.  However, this has hit quite close to home and has served as a brutal reminder just how dangerous it can be out there.  Imagine being involved in an accident, ending up in a hospital, and no one knowing who you are.  All the while, everyone you know has no clue where you are.

So with that said, I am finally purchasing a Road ID.  I've been thinking about it forever, but just never bothered to get one.  I'll go with one of the wrist style ones in yellow (fast color of course) and wear it on my right wrist, making it as much a part of me as my watch.  In fact, there is a push in our BoMF running chapter to buy up Road IDs so that at least something good can come out of all of this.  Between all my cycling and running, I'm out there a lot, covering 150 miles easily between the two sports.  I need to make sure people can find me if something happens.


Stay safe out there and Run More!!

No comments:

Post a Comment