Labels

Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Lost Week?

Going into the National Half marathon last week, I ran 3 days and took 2 off to try and give myself some rest.  After running the race, I managed around 47 miles total.  Certainly not high, but not too low either, ok for an easy week.

Then the next week hit.  I had planned to take a couple more days off to clear my head from a less than stellar race when I got hit hard on Tuesday afternoon with nausea and a fever.  Anyone who knows me well knows I don't get sick, ever.  In fact, the last time I had a fever was in 2003 and since I graduated college in 2008, had never called in sick to work.

My streak ended as I couldn't be bothered to work Wednesday.  My fever didn't last very long, but the nausea and extreme lack of appetite persisted.  By Thursday, I was back at work, though still not 100%.  By Saturday morning, I could still count on one hand the number of meals I had eaten since Wednesday.  All the while, running has been quite out of the question.

Now, on Sunday, I'm hoping that things might finally be getting back to normal.  Saturday afternoon (and today) are the first two times I've actually felt hungry in almost a week, though I still fill up way too fast.  One more obstacle remains to running again, that being my bowels.  I'll spare details, but lets just say that I'm losing a lot of water in ways I should not be.  No dehydration though, not yet anyway!

I'm hoping by Wednesday at the latest, I'll be 100% again.  In such a scenario, that would be 10 days without running.  But, it may not be so bad.  My right lower leg was feeling tender (all too similar to what happened last year, though 1000x times less painful), and now feels fine.  I'm also pretty anxious to get going again (also a good sign).

Getting this in the mail has also cheered me up a bit:


Bib #: 609.  Not quite as cool as the #444 I didn't use last year, but I'll take a less unique number and a chance to actually run the race!

I have no idea how this will or will not change my pace at Boston.  I'll have to see how I feel when I actually start running again.  Regardless, I'm willing to run whatever pace I'll be in shape for.

1 comment:

  1. Nope, not a lost week. A perfectly timed down week. Don't try to recoup "lost time" - just continue as planned and you will kill!

    ReplyDelete