Labels

Sunday, February 19, 2012

2/13-2/19 One Year Ago...

It will be exactly one year ago tomorrow that I finished up a 20 miler and thought to myself "Wow, the inside of both my legs really hurt."  Within 2.5 weeks I finally succumbed to a stress fracture.  I ran at the time what were the three best races ever, but at significant cost.

Now, things look a lot better.  I may have slightly less mileage under my legs for the start of 2012 compared to 2011, but I'm physically and mentally healthy.  Though I have experienced all kinds of pain everywhere as mileage has increased, nothing has lingered or been cause for concern.  I even still check the tibia in both my legs for any pinpoint pain, and nothing has stuck for more than a day.  Everything is holding together!

Mon: 7 miles, easy

Tues: 10 miles, easy

Wed: 12 miles total with 4x2 mile (1:20 rest between): Mile splits: 5:38, 5:32, 5:32, 5:31, 5:31, 5:30, 5:28, 5:29.  I felt better during this workout than I did the previous week, despite having run more miles in the days leading up.  Doing it on a track with faster people who were running that pace continuously (jumping back on when they came through the start) really helped too.

Thurs: 7 miles, easy/moderate

Fri: AM: 4 miles, easy
       PM: 9 miles, easy/moderate

Sat: 10 miles total with hill repeats on what in my mind is now the infamous "Gun rd;" a random road about 20 minutes from my apartment that makes you suffer.  4 repeats total at 6:11; 6:09; 6:13; 6:22.  That last one was tough...The hill has a steep initial ascent, flattens for a little, then has two much shorter ascents before hitting a good downhill.  In total, it's about a mile and serves as decent training for Boston since you can get a couple of very short downhill sections at speed.

Sun: 19 miles, NCR Trail progression style.  I was originally just going to make this a "chill" long run, but after a couple of miles, realized I felt pretty good, so I picked it up...
7:41, 7:01, 6:50, 6:55, 6:45, 6:48, 6:45, 6:36, 6:41, 6:34, 6:33, 6:34, 6:26, 6:20, 6:19, 6:12, 6:11, 6:12, 6:04...2:05:26 total, 6:36/mile average.

I didn't feel too spent at the end of the run, though I was certainly glad I didn't have to run anymore!

Total mileage: 78

Upcoming: A 55 mile week, and the Club Challenge 10 Miler.  It's been over a month since my last race, and close to 2 since I've done any race of consequence.  I'm certainly looking forward to this one!  My focus this week will just to let myself recover and catch up with the work I've put in over the last two, then try and kick some ass on Sunday.

3 comments:

  1. Geez - 4 trips up Gun Rd on Saturday and then a 19 mile progression run the next day?? BEAST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck on your 10 Miler. It's kind of empowering to look back at how far you've come post fracture, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to crush Club Challenge Dan... And Boston is looking good too! Nice workouts!

    ReplyDelete