Labels

Friday, October 7, 2011

Slight Frustration

I am no doctor, but I think my left leg pain is due to an aggravated nerve.  It is certainly not bone because I sure as hell know what that feels like.  It also is not really behaving quite like a muscle strain, since I also know what that feels like.

My only possible conclusion is that a nerve has been pissed off, which is causing pain to radiate a bit in my left quad.  I ran and biked once a piece this week on Tuesday and Wednesday, about 10 miles total with 1 mile at 5K pace, 2 miles at tempo pace, and 1 mile at faster than 5K pace (5:16, 11:19, 5:06).  I also biked 32 miles at 20mph the following day.

I can run and bike on it, the bike seems to be more agreeable, but regardless, I threw caution to the wind and took Thursday and Friday off.  I can't really tell if its getting better.  I also spent 8 hours total driving today, which probably didn't help.  I certainly have no interest in taking 2 months off after suffering a significant injury, so I'm listening to my body now in hopes that it will work itself out soon.

I have decided not to change my weekend plans.  On Saturday, I've got 3 hours of easy riding for a charity event and a sprint duathlon Sunday, 1.5 miles running, 14 on the bike, 3 miles for run 2, all on flat terrain.

I'll reevaluate again Monday morning.  I've got no more races currently scheduled between this Du and the Philly marathon, though I may try for at least a 10K in early November.  Additionally, I am in wonderful shape right now and a few days off isn't going to kill me.  I can only hope that whatever this issue is will work itself out sooner rather than later.

I also have no plans of dropping out of my marathon pacing duties, 3:30 at Baltimore as a Geico Pacer next weekend and 3:25-3:30 at Marine Corps as someone's "personal" pacer.

I've been very smart about my training this season, running more than I did at this time last year, but still much less than what led to my stress fracture in the Spring.  Just as the weather was getting perfect, this mysterious issue had to come up, but I have to just take it a day at a time....

No comments:

Post a Comment