Labels

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"Fundracing"

I have never spent too much time worrying about using fundraising as a means to get into races.  The whole concept certainly adds an interesting dynamic to the sport of running, but I have always preferred to pay my own way or qualify by virtue of my times.  However, that has really never given me an excuse to at least try some fund raising for a cause on the side while training for a race.  Of course, the training is hard enough. Regardless, I'm making a relatively modest attempt to at least raise some money for a cause I believe in.  I figure my blog can be one of a couple tools to try and encourage donations.

I am attempting to raise money for Back on my Feet, a nonprofit organization that uses running as a means to promote self sufficiency by those experiencing homelessness through running.  In cities with chapters, teams are formed with specific shelters and every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday morning, runners meet up and run with members of the shelter who have become part of the team.  By maintaining high attendance and participating in both races and events, members gain access to a variety of tools to help them advance their lives.

It certainly does not help everyone as many people experiencing homelessness find themselves in very complicated situations with many deep seeded problems that are not easily resolved.  However, I have also seen first hand how powerfully successful Back on my Feet can be in helping to change lives.  In those who have found success, there were a great many factors and Back on my Feet cannot take all the credit, but I can guarantee you that the network of support that the chapter provides certainly helped.

I am personally quite involved, first joining in Jan 2010, becoming a team training coach from April 2010 to Feb 2011, and I have been a team leader ever since.  I show up nearly every MWF morning and even some Saturdays.  Unfortunately, my current running skill level means that I get very little running-wise out of the group, though I get much more out of it than training miles.  However, this requires me to at times show up 45 minutes before our 5:30AM start so I can get my own miles in.  I have become quite notorious for my pre-run runs.

I wouldn't spend time making a post about this, or asking for donations if I didn't truly believe in the cause!  If you are at all interested in donating, check out this page: http://www.active.com/donate/baltimorebomf/fastest

My modest goal of $239 matches my goal time for Philly of 2:39.

No comments:

Post a Comment